Sunday, 26 July 2009

DJ Dharma

Music is one of those things that any living organism can appreciate. Recent theories about plants responding to music must be noted. My experiences of music started when I was a child . Thyagaraja kritis and Bradrachalam Ramadas Keerthanas in praise of Lord Rama used to reverberate in my house. My Grandfather was very fond of Telugu that at one stage , he made me learn the language but I regret at present that I could have given it a more serious thought . My Grandfather however succeeded in making me appreciate and recognise a few of the raagas and I can do it subconsciously at present although not perfectly I must admit as I have never had formal training.

I started to listen to Tamil music in its glory days. The music of Illayaraja , especially the violin can bring tears even to stone hearted souls. English music became a household phenomenon and my stay at the Med College got me exposed to Rap , Rock, R and B and loads more. I should admit that I am a big fan of Metallica, GNR , Aerosmith, Akon, Whitesnake , Pearl Jam and loads more.

I know that there are some serious music lovers here in our blog who have a very rich experience of appreciating and also playing various instruments . Shall we start this thread with useful contributions from them , especially links to some classic songs , instrumentals.

One other thing I would really appreciate is for people to write about Raagas and Taalas which I am keen to understand. I do not want to be a Wiki Scholar. I'd prefer to hear it from the Horses mouths or rather Hoofs as we are using internet. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment